What to do if you are raped or sexually assaulted.
Immediately after an assault :
- Go to a safe place
- Stop and think. The actions you take in the next 24 hours could destroy important evidence should you decide to report the crime
- Call New Horizons Crisis Center. We can explain your options and help you decide what you want to do
- Do not bathe, shower or wash yourself
- Do not change, wash or destroy your clothes
- Do not drink anything, rinse your mouth or brush your teeth
- Call a supportive friend or family member who can go with you to the hospital
- Do not clean up or change the crime scene in any way
- Call the police (911)
- Take a complete set of clean clothes, including shoes
- If you have already changed your clothes, take everything you were wearing at the time of the assault, in a paper bag with you to the hospital
- If you have been sexually assaulted and you do not want to report you still need to get medical attention, there are drugs available to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy. These can only be prescribed by a physician
Remember no one asks to be raped. You are not to blame for what another person has done to you. Sexual assault is NEVER the fault of the victim.